Sunday, April 17, 2005

Rambling

I am currently dining on the finer things in life: Two Buck Chuck from Trader Joe's and Ruffles Sea Salted Natural potato chips. Ahhh, this is the life. I had to cut my phone conversation short with one of my best friends since my gabbing woke the princess. I'm not loud, honest. Leah happens to have supernatural ears when I want her to sleep and when I'm trying to do things around the house to rouse her indirectly, she completely blocks them out. For example, this morning I had to be at church at 8:30 since I was part of a group singing in the beginning of the service. This shouldn't have posed a problem as Leah has developed the bad habit of waking at 6:30am or so. Seven o'clock comes and goes. Then 7:30. I put a load of clothes in the dryer. Nothing. I don't nag Trey about keeping quiet when he's singing and dancing with The Wiggles. Nothing. The cats have one of their psychotic, wide eyed rips through the house. Nothing. I have to go in and wake her at 8:15! My low key phone conversation in the office an hour after she finally falls asleep wakes her up. Ugh!

I figured I'd be productive while chatting with my friend and prepare the dish I'm taking to my MOPs meeting tomorrow. Grate two different types of cheese. Check. Wisk the eggs. Check. Add the milk...uh...how much milk? Oh man! I forgot to write down how much milk I need for this dumb dish! My mom is the owner of the recipe. My mom isn't someone I can call at 10:30 at night. She will think that my husband has been shot or that I finally followed through on my threat of launching one or both of my children out the window. The ingredients sit in my fridge until the early morning when I can call my mom and respond to her concerned "hello?" when she sees my number on the caller ID with, "hi mom, eveything's ok, I forgot how much milk to put in that dish." Then she'll sigh at me like she does when I forget something I should have remembered. I'll throw everything together and pop it in the oven hoping that everything is completed in time for me to make it to my meeting at nine. Oh yeah, I still have to wrap two secret sister gifts and make my coffee for the morning. Bill always made my coffee for me, now it's one of the many tasks I've added to my forever-long todo list. Laundry, dishes, vacuum, laundry again, take out the trash and recycle bins, play with the kids, drive here and there and get gas on the way, pay bills, balance the checkbook, wash the cars, make the beds (stop laughing all you people who know me personally!), clean the cat box. Wow, I'm even boring myself. This gourmet wine certainly cures insomnia. Not that I suffer from insomnia but I'm sure if I did, it would cure it.

Goodnight.

No comments: