Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Leah has baby-sixth-sense. i.e. "mom's sitting down to eat, so I must make the most pitiful face I can muster and whimper like I'm a neglected puppy." It works. Trey had eaten every morsel of his lunch, which is quite an accomplishment for him. I finally had a moment to eat around 1:30 when she gave me 'the look', so I pulled her up on the couch with me hoping that the mere fact that we were occupying the same space would be sufficient for her. I then noticed Leah noticing every movement of my hand to my mouth, over and over and over.

"Hmmm", I thought. "I wonder what she'd think of the taste of a granny smith apple? I've already let her taste spaghetti-o's and yogurt and countless other things I probably shouldn't let a six month old try. What would it hurt? Well, Leah tasted it to the point there was no way I was going to put that soggy, saliva drenched piece of apple back in my mouth. For fear of her choking on it, I took it away. Bad Mommy!!

"AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!" she says to me. I think there may be a new crack in the ceiling now. We quickly run over to the highchair, but it's not fast enough and the tears start to fall from the tiny, scrunched up red face of a very angry little Leah who has had something delectable stolen away from her. I substitute the Gerber variety of apple which comes in a neat little plastic container, seeds and life removed, and all is well in babydom. She ate the whole thing and fell asleep 5 minutes later. Oh, sweet fructose satisfaction.

No comments: