Thursday, July 27, 2006

A little ditty

Sing to the tune of Happy Birthday (it's a stretch, but come on, work with me here):

Happy Anniversary to Me
My husband's in another countr-ee

I spent the daaay keeping Leah from drowneeeng
Guess I'll have to celebrate in January

Yes, the best way to celebrate ten years of wedded bliss when your spouse is far, far away, is to take your kids swimming. The government has finally deemed its personnel and families as human and have provided community swimming pools. We don't live on base anymore, but accepted an offer from a friend to join them for a lazy day in the pool.

Leah, my fearless wonder, went under so many times I lost track. The worst one was when I saw her slip under (she refuses to wear any sort of floatation device--they get in the way) and as I ran over to grab her saw that she was completely under, including her outstretched hands. I saw her little eyes wide open under the surface and that panicked look on her face. She was struggling to surface. I reached down and snatched her out of the water. She cried for less than a mintue and ran back to the pool. What am I in for?

Bill comes home in January as long as nothing crazy happens so we'll have to really celebrate our day then. When you're in front of the most important people in your life, promising your love from one another you never expect to revisit that day so far apart. Retirement is only 5 1/2 years away...but who's counting?

5 comments:

Judy said...

Happy anniversary, you two! Celebrate it whenever...every day is an anniversary!

Raggedy said...

Happy Anniversary!
I am sure you will make up for the loss of your special day when he returns....
I am sorry you could not be together today..In thought and spirit you are and that is really important..
Hang in there..
Have a wonderful day!
*^_^
(=':'=) meow hugs
(")_ (")Š from da Raggedy one

Manda said...

Happy Anniversary Jen. I understand how difficult this is for you. Hope you still had a good time at the pool! Luv You

Unknown said...

I LOVE your little song to yourself and sang it to the tune of Happy Birthday which made it even funnier.

I have one of those Fearless Wonders. I know she'll be the first one to break something...like a bone...it's only a matter of time...

Bill said...

Actually, the next ticke I put on my blog was going to be a count-down to retirement eligibility. I was going to wait until I actually re-upped for the last time, but now I'm thinking I'll go ahead and put it on there.