Saturday, May 13, 2006

The Best Part of Waking Up...

When your phone rings at 4:30am, it's never a good thing. Friday morning I rolled over, turned the light on and stared at the caller ID while the phone rang and woke up the birds. It was a cell phone. Not one I recognized. I let it go to the voicemail. I turned off the light and closed my eyes. Five minutes later, the bird waker called back. "Hello?"
"Hello?", he says.
"Helllloooo.." Didn't I just say that?
"Hi ma'am, this is SSgt Blazeeblahblah, is SSgt [Bill] there?"

No, he's out golfing right now. Or at the club shaking his booty. Or delivering pizza's on the east coast. Where else would he be???

"It's for you, Bill."

Some military jargon went on that I typically don't understand when fully awake so I just basically heard what Charlie Brown hears when the teacher talks.

"What's going on?" I ask.
"I have to go into work because they're scouring the barracks for drugs and they need Staff NCO's there."
Here's what every military wife asks when her husband is asked to do something: "Why you?"
"They're asking all Staff NCO's to go."

This is so lame. We live 30-45 minutes south of where he works. By the time he gets up there, they'll be done with this whole drug search. And guess what? By the time he got up there, they were done. No drugs were found, just a bunch of irritated sleepy Marines.

But here comes the good part. Bill normally helps kick me out of bed in the morning by bringing me coffee. I don't know how this started, but it's what he does. Since he left before 5am and I didn't have to get up until 6:30, he left a carafe of hot, already creamed coffee on my nightstand and a mug so that I could have coffee in bed before starting my day. Wasn't that sweet? Don't your teeth hurt and you have the urge to throw up? I know. That's just how he is. He even set the alarm for me so I wouldn't be late.

Yeah, it didn't work. I was a half hour late to work. But man, coffee in bed is a gooooood thing.

1 comment:

Judy said...

He's so sweet! That's awesome!

Sorry about the call, though- preachers and military - it is a rough life sometimes!