Monday, April 17, 2006

Falling Down

Every time Bill and I try to give one another a hug in the presense of Trey, Trey tries to squeeze in between us. I'm sure it's genetic, as Bill tells stories of doing the exact same thing to his parents. Yesterday, we decided to have some fun with Trey and "lock" him out of our embrace. We squeezed each other tight as Trey tried to wedge himself in. Then, we intertwined our legs, really making sure that the boy would not come in the middle of us. Our intertwined legs added to Trey's persistence made a bad combination with gravity and the next thing I knew, we were all falling over. Bill was trying to make sure I wouldn't crack my skull on the edge of the entertainment center, I tried to keep myself from capturing my son underneath my falling body while avoiding Bill coming crashing down on me. We were partially successful. Trey broke my fall. After we made sure he didn't have any broken bones or broken skin we hugged him and laughed quietly to ourselves while Trey cried his pain away. After he settled down, he looked at me with his teary big blue eyes and said, "Mommy, I just wanted a hug too-ooo."

Now if that isn't child guilt, I don't know what is.

1 comment:

Judy said...

Awwwwww!!!! Poor Trey!

And poor you! Guilt is their biggest weapon, isn't it?