Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Traditioooooon, tradition!

This week marks the beginning of the Christmas season in our household. My husband is the child of a school teacher so they always put up the decorations the day after Thanksgiving, since that's the day dad was always guaranteed a four day weekend. I've been ready to decorate for a month. I would have been sick of it by now, but I can't wait. I banish everyone for at least a 50 foot radius, pop in the Home Alone DVD and bring in the red and green boxes from the garage. Yeah, it's probably not very nice that I don't let anyone help me decorate but honestly, Trey is much happier outside with his daddy while Bill puts lights on the house. I'd like to savor the control that I have for just one more year. The only problem is this: it's been 80 degrees this week. It's kinda hard to get in the Christmas decorating mood when you feel the need to prance through the sprinklers and your kid is asking for popsicles. Bah Humbug.

Trey hasn't grasped the concept of time just yet. He knows the days of the week but doesn't quite get it yet. He knows we're going to Nathan's house for Turkey Day. How many times do you think he's asked me if we're going to Nathan's today?

"Are we going?"
"No."
"Why?"
"It's not Thursday."
"When it's Thursday, we could go?"
"Yes."

2 minutes later...
"Hey mommy?"
"Yeah, Trey."
"Are we going to Nathan's now?"
"No."
"Whyyyyyyy????" Incessant crying here.

Ugh. Seriously, the kid has asked me at least a dozen times since 3pm today.

In the wise words of Mr. Lunt, "You jest doooon't git it."

So what are you doing this Thanksgiving weekend?

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Sounds like you'll have a great weekend with nice weather to boot. It's been COLD here. Not sure if I'm just acclimated or what, but it's really been chilly. Nonetheless we're off for 4 days of camping. Can't wait. Luckily my neighbor loves to cook more than necessary and has promised to stuff my fridge with leftovers so I'll still be able to enjoy Kamakaze sandwiches made up of everything leftover from Turkey Day. Happy Holidays!