Thursday, February 04, 2010

It's a Secret

I've been spending lots of time with my babies lately. Alright, they're not babies but they resemble them at times. Out here on the wrong side of the Rockies, my kids are in year round school which means they have WAY too much time off. We're in week two of a three week break. Pray for me. My husband's been out and about quite a bit lately as well so quantity time is a-flowin'. One of my favorite things to do with my kids is to read with them. It's out of sheer laziness. I get to sit on the couch and read books and they'll usually play with my hair or rub my arm while I read. Not a bad deal.

So I'm sitting with my son in the family room and my daughter is still upstairs. I smell something funny. Not like something burning, or foul, or play doh mixed with animal cookies smooshed up and used at hair putty. Kind of a good smell, but not one I recognized. New air freshener? No. I didn't put in a new plug in any time recently. I wasn't wearing perfume or lotion. My eight year old wasn't trying a new aftershave. Hmm. I ignored it and waited for Leah to join us on the couch for story time. As she sits next to me, the air around us is stirred and I smell it again, but this time stronger. I lean over and sniff her and then lean the other direction and sniff Trey. "What is that smell?!"
"What smell?"
::sniff sniff: "I don't know. Trey, did you put lotion on?"
"No."
"Something smells...powdery."
Then Trey tells me it's his arm. I grab his arm and sure enough, that's where the smell is coming from. "What is that?"
"I don't know. It was in the bathroom and I put it on. It was that blue thing."
"My new deoderant?
"Haha, yeah I guess." Clearly at this point he really doesn't know what deoderant is. Apparently he's been living under a rock.
"Trey, I put that on my ARM PITS"
"EWWWW!!!"
"Ok, no more putting things on your body if you don't know what they are."

Seriously.

2 comments:

Judy said...

HAHAHAHA

I'm secretly hoping my older son figures out the deoderant thing before the warm/hot weather returns here. 10/11 year old funk on heat is NOT attractive.

Andrea said...

lol!! thank goodness it wasn't vagisil or preparation H. Not that you would have those in you cabinet...I'm just sayin'!! hee hee