Friday, August 17, 2007

Times, they are a changin'

The old addage of the Marine Corps is, "If the Corps wanted you to have a wife, they would have issued you one!" Oh, how very clever you Devil Dogs are. Your first priority is to the corps, and family is second...so they say. Sacrifice is everywhere. I'm starting to see a few changes. The wives are always recognized and honored at deployment briefings, reenlistments and retirements. Then the paternal leave started. Ten days to be at home with your wife and newborn. I was starting to get sad again at all of the things Bill will miss once again as he deploys next year, but thankful that he'll at least be home for the holidays this year and Trey's first day of kindergarten. Parents are invited to join their little ones for a shortened first day of school. I knew I'd be trying to push one kid into the room and keep the little one out of the excitement of 'big kid things'. But then I just got an email from my dear hubby. The CO (Commanding Officer) has given those with kids the first day of school off so the family can attend together. Sweet! War guilt? Who knows but at least this is a small makeup for the amount of time he's gone.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

I love hearing things like this. It's those little things that help to make the unbearable times more bearable. I have a lot of respect and admiration for the families that sacrifice so much. Chris was just gone for 2 weeks and I thought I was losing my mind. I was so ready to go get some happy pills. :) I can't believe Bill's leaving again. As always you're in our hearts and thoughts. Love you all!