Friday, January 16, 2009

Riding the Crazy Train

Being a girl (woman? Sounds too formal) chick married to a guy in the armed forces, I hear one statement more than any other: “I don’t know how you do it”. Well, it’s not like we get a booklet or anything. Oh wait, we do, but that’s not my point. I don’t know how we do it either. It’s just one of those things. If you watched a woman giving birth before you’d ever had kids, you say the same thing. Then you get pregnant and have that baby and you realize that you just get through it. You enjoy the not so painful part and bear down and grit your teeth through the awful parts.

Yesterday I experienced a day that made ME say, “I don’t know how YOU do it”. Yeah, you. The working mom. Ok, so I work but it’s very part time. How do people work a 40 hour work week and then come home and take care of everything else? I worked from nine to five yesterday on a project that needs to be D-U-N (which still isn’t, so I have to go in today…on my day off) and the thought of coming home to make dinner, finish homework and have quality time with my kids made me want to laugh and cry at the same time! There is no way I could do that five days a week. Add that and all of the extracurriculars between my two kids and my husband and you have a woman who needs a) xanax and lots of it b) wine and lots of it c) to be committed to a mental institution or d) all of the above.

So just for fun I’ve decided to record my crazy busy week this week so one day when my kids are out of the house and my husband and I are just sitting on the couch looking at each other I can refer to this and be grateful I was once young and insane.

Monday was pretty normal. Nothing big on the to-do list. Oh wait, maybe there was something. Oh yeah, clean the house. Oops. Missed that one. Leah and I went to Costco instead. MUCH more fun.

Tuesday. The beginning of the crazy week.
8am: out of the house
9-2: work
3: get Trey from school
3:30: leave for hip hop (for Trey, not me)
4-4:45: Trey’s hip hop class
5: get Leah from preschool
5:30: home again, jiggity jig.
6-9: dinner, homework, showers and a last minute friend-date at Starbucks

8am: out of the house
9-12: work
12:25: get Trey from school (stupid minimum day every Wednesday) and then rush home and grab something to eat
1-2:30: park for Trey with his buds
4:30: leave to get Leah from school
5:00: change Leah into her ballet attire while still at school
5:30-6:15: Leah’s dance class and Trey does homework while we wait at the studio
6:30-8:30: dinner at church (thanks to the hubby running through Burger King for us—and I got to see him for the two minutes it took him to divvy out the food), small group and Bill has rehearsal for a shindig the next night.
9: home and bedtime for the kids.

8am: out of the house
9-5: work (but I had to beg Bill to leave his work early to pick up the kids so I could try and finish my project)
5:30: home and say goodbye to Bill. He had to leave for church for one last rehearsal
6:30: the kids and I leave for church for our farewell to Fallon party. A friend of ours is leaving for Australia to attend school and we had a big concert for her.
10: get home. I make myself some dinner. Put Trey to bed. Realize something’s not right with Leah and take her temperature. 101.9 Great. Inject Tylenol into her mouth and let her rest on the overstuffed chair.
10:30: Put Leah to bed.
Midnight: lights out.

Today. Yeah. I need to run into work, grab my prescription, wrap birthday presents, get Trey and somehow work on my neglected house. Today is my mom’s birthday and Sunday is Bill’s. I have a kid with a sore throat and one who was hit in the mouth yesterday with a soccer ball leaving him grotesquely injured. It could be fixed with one yank, but for some reason the kid is terrified of pulling his own tooth out.

GOOOOOO ME! Thankfully Monday is a holiday. Maybe I can clean my house then?


Judy said...

Isn't it terrible how one tiny little thing (like work) throws everything off?

This is my reasoning for quitting next year...which I won't...because I'm a wuss. And like my money. And still wouldn't get the house cleaned even if I was in it all by myself for a month.

Andrea said...

OMG! Seriously, I don't know how you do it. Especially when Bill is gone. I bow down to you!! I like that Bill calls you Princess but really it should be Princess Superstar! Love ya girl!

Krista said...

You are one busy girl. I would not know how to keep up :) I hope you get to relax a bit this weekend, try not to get what the kids have. I will be praying they get better FAST. I guess tomorrow when my kids are pretending they are Trey and Leah, I will have to tell them to go back to are sick! Did I tell you that my kids pretend they are Trey and Leah ALL the time? Too funny!

Bill said...

You're awesome!

Sarah said...

I work from home so I kind of get the best of both worlds I suppose. If I get sick of working I can clean for a little while and vice versa.

Sometimes I get too distracted though (and post comments on people's blogs ahem lol). But it all works out in the end.

You're right though, we always look at other people's lives or tough times ahead as "how are we ever going to get through that" and then somehow we do. The nice thing is going through it with someone who loves you. It makes it all worth while.

Judy said...

Hey JEN!!!!

Tell Bill that it is one of the hardest things to give up (soda) but will be totally awesome by the time Easter comes - I actually lost quite a bit of flab when I did this before - hoping to shed a bit of the flabbiness I have going right now again - not so much the pounds as the flab, you know?